To get in touch with a member of the Harley Haddow team, please contact us using the details below.
All images on this site are © – These images may not be reproduced, copied or transmitted without written permission. Image credits can be viewed here.
At Harley Haddow we offer a progressive, industry-leading work environment and are always interested to hear from people who can help us stay at the forefront of consulting engineering. In return you get to work with some of the best in the business, at an award-winning consultancy.
Get in touch today to speak to us about career opportunities:
Please note that our work experience program is full for the time being, but please check back again soon.
Job Title: Structural Project Engineer (2 – 5 years’ experience)
Reports to: Departmental Director/Technical Director/Senior Structural Engineer within our Edinburgh Office
Your responsibilities will include the delivery of the Structural design on projects assigned to you. You shall also be responsible for maintaining and improving the quality and efficiency of the engineering design and post contract implementation offered by Harley Haddow on projects. You shall liaise closely with the Senior Engineer/Technical Director/Director and ensure that tasks are programmed and achieved. You shall be responsible for the overall programme deadlines and requirements and work with the other members of the project team and Clients to achieve these. You shall be aware of the time and costs spent on projects.
You will also be responsible for the supervision and management of technicians on projects you are working on.
The position demands good communication skills. You shall be representing Harley Haddow through direct contact with clients and other design team members.
Key Areas of Focus
- Scheme design to Stage D (Planning application stage).
- Assist Technical Director or Director in preparing and developing the Structural engineering scheme designs.
- Development of Design to Stage E (Submission for statutory approvals, BW, RCC etc)
- Preparation of the detail design or parts of the design and reviewing any sub-consultants designs and drawings.
- Development of Design to Stage H (Billing and Tender stages)
- Preparation of the detail design or parts of the design, including specifications.
- Post Contract Implementation (Construction to Practical Completion)
- Reviewing any Contractors designs and drawings.
- Attending site meetings
- To assist in the management of projects or particular elements of projects to ensure delivery dates are met
- To assist in the delivery of detailed design/ production information and specifications.
- To ensure that repeat business is continued by excellent delivery and client relationships.
- Be actively involved in the day to day operations of the design office, and assist in improving efficiencies and quality.
The objectives of the position will be to achieve the following approximate work profile
- Scheme design project work 10% of time
- Detailed Design project work 70% of time
- Post Contract duties/ meetings 10% of time
- General Office Duties/Training 10% of time
- Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or HND/HNC qualified in similar discipline. Graduate member of appropriate Institution.
- At least 2 years’ experience in preparation of Structural engineering designs since completion of degree, HND/HNC or similar
- Good IT skills with experience of MS Office Suite and AutoCAD with working knowledge and proficiency in the use of suitable Structural engineering design/analysis software e.g. Tedds
- Demonstrable experience in time and project management, delivery and quality of engineering designs.
- Good people skills and a team working approach
- Hold a valid UK Driving Licence
- Be prepared to travel to meetings and projects as necessary. Mostly east central Scotland but occasional work in other parts of UK that may necessitate an overnight stay.